Frail faith or fragile faith

Rahaee

Farsi
Hi,

I am writing an essay, I want to talk about the weakness of someone's faith. Which one is more beautiful? a fragile faith or a frail faith?

• Rahaee

Farsi
    When writing an essay on a literary work, should I choose more colloquial words or the nuance of different words are as important? However, my English is not that good to always understand these nuances and their usage, but I am asking it for my general. It seems here practicality in writing is of more importance rather than esthetics.

ron1759

U.S. - English
    I think you will have to decide whether to use more colloquial words based on your objectives.

In my experience, even though "frail" and "fragile" can mean the same thing, "frail" is used mostly when referring to a person who is weak.

Ben pan

chinese
    I think frail faith is more beautiful. Because it is tinctured with some human feeling, implicitly saying that everything human is fragile, how strong man craves for solidity and endurance, how difficult for a man to stay on something forever. Fragile is more cold, more like a disintersted spectator.

Only a guess.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Applying an adjective/adverb because "it is more beautiful" is the wrong approach; I suggest it is a question of what you intend the object to be and how that might fit into the essay.

Frail and fragile have overlapping meanings. In cases like this, I advise writing down all the definitions next to each word and then strike out those that are common to both. At this point, you should have a clearer idea of what you should write:

Frail - physically weak

Fragile - able to be broken easily, slight; tenuous

(Definitions from WRF)

Sun14

Chinese
    I have being reading a book named confusable words by Collins.

The book tells of the difference between the two but it doesn't make it clear to the reader. The books says fragile could be used to describe the object as easily broken or damaged and describe people who feel uncomfortable. While frail should be used to describe the people as feeble. It doesn't tell the reader the difference and just tell the different case that fragile and frail could be used. I check the dictionary finding that frail could also be used to describe an object as easily broken or damage. I was wondering the exact difference between the two.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >