frame and obscure

< Previous | Next >

KoTatyana

Russia, Russian
I've come across the combination of verbs 'frame and obscure' several times and it seems to me that it's sort of a fixed expression. Would you please explain what it means.

I've met it in the following contexts:

1. The discourse of public policy and the actions of state legislatures and public school officials too often frame and obscure black girls in a fog of negative stereotypes, questionable assumptions and unexamined facts. Primarily because of their reported high incidence of teenage pregnancy, African-American girls have been perceived as a major cause of the asserted dysfunctional behavior of…

2. Examples of Gerhard Richter's "Overpainted Photographs" introduced a tension between the illusory perspectival space of his "tourist" shots of Florence, and the physicality of the thick ridges of oil paint laid over their flat surfaces to both frame and obscure the view.

3. This conflict however may frame and obscure other areas of difficulty such as conflicts arising from different familial and cultural expectations.

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hello KoTatyana,

I've never seen this combination before. It means this to me: To establish in the mind of the reader or viewer a particular mindset or perspective, and at the same time hide the facts. In short, it means create a prejudice and distort reality.

< Previous | Next >