Framework in which

Jignesh77

India- hindi
The controlling idea (central idea or main idea) comes from the purpose and the subject. It gives readers a map of the essay's territory, a framework in which to interpret the specific material the essay will present. It gives writers a basis for decision-making: every sentence, every paragraph in the essay should be directly related to the controlling idea. In math terms, you might say:

Writer's Guide: Analyzing Tasks: What is the Controlling Idea?

Please explain to me the grammatical form and function of "in which" and use of simple future tense in "the essay will present"

Thanks

• snargleplax

English - Northwestern United States
    A "framework in which to interpret" something is a framework that you want to "be in" so that you can interpret the thing effectively. To "be in" a framework here means something like "to organize your thoughts according to the structures presented by the framework."

In terms of describing this grammatically, I believe the entire three-word phrase "in which to" would be considered a preposition. You may wish to see some other examples of such things.

"This essay will present" uses a future tense because it is describing the portions of the essay the reader has "presumably" not yet read. This is somewhat of a style convention, carrying the tone of academic writing.

snargleplax

English - Northwestern United States
    I don't believe so in this case; I think it has to be introducing a relative clause in order to be considered a relative pronoun. Here, it's just part of the preposition.

< Previous | Next >