français ancien

christopherp

English, United States
Currently I am attempting to translate this phrase, and it isn't going as well as I had hoped. Would someone be kind enough to translate it into English for me please?

Mais je croy que je
Suis descendu on puiz
Tenebreux onquel disoit
Heraclytus estre Verité cachée.

So far this is what I have come up with, and I am not even sure if it is correct:

I find that I
am descending/falling (not sure which)
darkness (not sure about any of the rest)
Heraclytus (a philosopher i am certain) truth or belief (again, not sure) hidden/obscurity (not sure)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

• deeosama

france, french
    Mais je crois que je
    suis descendu au puit (?)
    ténébreux auquel disait
    Heraclytus être vérité cachée :confused:

Mais je croy que je
    Suis descendu on puiz
    Tenebreux onquel disoit
    Heraclytus estre Verité cachée.

Bonjour , cela parait être du français du moyen-âge , du temps de François Villon
    Mais je crois que je suis descendu en un puits ténébreux dans lequel Héraclyte disait que la vérite était cachée

Greg Mosse

English/Français
    Si tu veux respecter les strophes ...

Mais je crois que je / But I believe that I
    suis descendu au puit / went down into the well
    ténébreux auquel disait / of shadows where it was said
    Heraclytus être vérité cachée / by Heraclitus that truth was hidden

Amitiés
    Greg

deeosama

france, french
    http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/r/rabelais/francois/r11g/part136.html (for the whole text in english)

I do not think but that I am let down into that dark pit in the lowermost bottom whereof the truth was hid, according to the saying of Heraclitus

Personnally I don't think Rabelais means "into" the well. I think "descendre au" means "go to". Unfortunatly I can't find any translation in modern french on the net :(

edit : Yes it's "into" because it's more coherent with the rest of the text. I'm not convinced the quoted translation above is very good.