France is beckoning

anitax

Polish
Dear all,

how to understand 'to beckon' in the following context:

Things are going well, UK profits are higher than expected and France is beckoning.

Thanks
A.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Presumably this statement is from someone important in a company that currently does not sell/operate in France.

Things are going really well for the company in the UK.

Their next expansion plan is to move into France - figuratively, France is standing across the channel waving her arms seductively and calling, "Come here, come here, there's more money to be made here."

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Yes, that was my initial suspicion as well. I was going to suggest "France seems attractive." I just asked for further context in case there was another potentially helpful subtext. :)

anitax

Polish
    Indeed, in the further part of the text, they explain they are planning to enter the French market soon.
    Would then this mean 'looks attractive, promising'?

Thanks

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    anitax said:
    Indeed, in the further part of the text, they explain they are planning to enter the French market soon.

Thanks
    I would say "seems" instead of "looks." But yeah, you're on the right track.

Brioche

Australia English
    anitax said:

Thanks
    I would say that the idea is stronger than looking or seeming attractive or promising.

France isn't just standing there, looking attractive,
    she is, as Panjandrum said, waving her arms seductively, and calling.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Brioche said:
    I would say that the idea is stronger than looking or seeming attractive or promising.

France isn't just standing there, looking attractive,
    she is, as Panjandrum said, waving her arms seductively, and calling.
    Well, yeah, but that's metaphorical, isn't it? The idea is that France is so attractive that it is as though she were calling. I think it's just a figure of speech that indicates how desirable France looks/seems/appears.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Your are correct, Elroy, in that "France is beckoning" is metaphorical. That doesn't point to any of looks, seems, or appears, as the proper 'translation' from metaphorical to literal.
    Anitax has told us that the company is planning to enter the French marketplace. Thus I suggest "France is attractive" as a place to do business, at least in the considered judgement of the company in question.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    cuchuflete said:
    Your are correct, Elroy, in that "France is beckoning" is metaphorical. That doesn't point to any of looks, seems, or appears, as the proper 'translation' from metaphorical to literal.
    Anitax has told us that the company is planning to enter the French marketplace. Thus I suggest "France is attractive" as a place to do business, at least in the considered judgement of the company in question.
    Fair enough, although the difference between being attractive and looking attractive is arguably very subtle. :)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    timpeac said:
    Ugly rich men have it down to a tee.
    You are assuming that wealth constitutes attractiveness, at least more so than looks. An ugly rich man (or a handsome, poor one, for that matter) may not be attractive at all if you are looking for someone with a kind heart - or a history of athletic achievements.

Because attractiveness is so subjective, "it is attractive," for all intents and purposes, has come to mean "it looks attractive." When you say "he is an attractive man," you are sharing your opinion, not an indisputable fact.

Similarly, this particular company has deemed France attractive as a place to do business, but that may not be the case if the observer or criteria are different.

timpeac

English (England)
    elroy said:
    You are assuming that wealth constitutes attractiveness, at least more so than looks. An ugly rich man (or a handsome, poor one, for that matter) may not be attractive at all if you are looking for someone with a kind heart - or a history of athletic achievements.

Because attractiveness is so subjective, "it is attractive," for all intents and purposes, has come to mean "it looks attractive." When you say "he is an attractive man," you are sharing your opinion, not an indisputable fact.

Similarly, this particular company has deemed France attractive as a place to do business, but that may not be the case if the observer or criteria are different.
    They may not look attractive ("look" appealing to the eye) yet they do attract (and therefore if they attract ipso facto they are attractive).

The giggling blonds (bottle or otherwise) on the arm of your average billionaire are testament to this, I think ;)

I wasn't putting a value judgement on that. For example, right now I am watching the snooker on TV - like pool but harder for those who don't know the game - and they are generally ugly, but whenever they pan to the girlfriend in the audience she is always buxom, giggling, and usually blond. Just the evidence of my eyes. Ok - perhaps I am assuming too much and it is their consummate skill that has attracted the girls and not their stacks of money.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    I was using "look" in the sense of "to appear" or "to seem" (you'll notice that I suggested "seem" instead of "look" earlier). Obviously we are not dealing with France's physical characteristics here.

< Previous | Next >