France off to a steady start

danielenglish

Banned
"India - Hindi & English"
Hi teachers,

What is meaning of the sentence "France off to a steady start".I have been in confuse for long time where to "off" correctly in a sentence .Please give me some examples with explanation.

Thanks in advance
daniel
(I like english)

• BantyMom

English - USA
    Do you mean:

France is off to a steady (good?) start? Like in a race?

If so, I would say that it means that France (the French team?) has begun well (whatever the endeavor is).

"is off to a good start" is an entire idiomatic expression and is difficult to tear apart.

Unknoewn13

English - American
    Hi teachers,

What is meaning of the sentence "France is off to a steady start".I have been confused for a long time how "off" is used correctly in a sentence .Please give me some examples with an explanation.

Thanks in advance
    daniel
    (I like english)
    I think you meaning "France is off to a steady start." The phrase means that the action being referred to has recently been begun, and is still in the process of occurring.

For example, at a horse race, the announcer normally screams "And they're off!" at the beginning of the race. This signifies that they have begun running.

If you are off to a good start on a project, that means you have begun the project, have not finished it, and yet have gotten a "good" amount of it done.

If you go "off on a tangent," this means that you were talking about something, and then begin to digress from the main topic, and start talking about something else entirely. If you are familiar with a "tangent" from math, you can see where this comes from.

If your father recently left to go to the store, and someone asks you where he is, you could say "He's off to the store," meaning he has left and is still on his way to the store.

danielenglish

Banned
    "India - Hindi & English"
    Hi ,

Thanks ..what is the meaning of "you knocked off my shoe". what "off" does here.Please give me some more examples with relevant to the usage of "off".

Thanks in advance
    daniel
    (I like english)

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >