Fratelli d'italia

Linkway

British English
Hi

The Italian party Bothers of Italy is clearly includes women and men.

Could you please explain about the translation?

Thanks.

Added later:
Oh, bother! Yes, I meant "Brothers...". Thanks for that pointing out.
At least I spelled correctly "party", not "partly"!

Last edited:
  • Linkway

British English
    The Italian party whose woman leads and won in today's elections is called "Brothers of Italy" in English as in BBC and Sky.

tsoapm

🇬🇧 English (England)
    I would assume that the expression is lifted directly from Il Canto degli Italiani/l’Inno di Mameli. That’s more than one-and-a-half centuries old and seems to be conventionally translated using ‘brothers’ to mean brothers and sisters in a way which is old-fashioned in English, but still perfectly standard in Italian.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Brothers of Italy - Wikipedia

Brothers of Italy (Italian: Fratelli d'Italia, FdI) is a right-wing populist and national-conservative political party in Italy led by Giorgia Meloni, a member of the Chamber of Deputies and former minister of youth in the Berlusconi IV Cabinet. The FdI is positioned on the radical right, a subset of the far-right, within the family of European political parties. ........

On 17 December 2012, La Russa, one of the three PdL national coordinators, announced he was leaving the party in order to form the National Centre-Right, including not just right-wingers but also Christian democrats and liberals from Forza Italia (FI) such as Crosetto and Cossiga.[31] The split from the PdL was agreed with Berlusconi in order to better represent the Italian right and offer an appealing choice to right-wing voters.[31] Simultaneously, Crosetto and Meloni announced the formation of Brothers of Italy, whose name was taken from the first line of the Italian national anthem.

Einstein

UK, English
    "Brotherhood" completes the list!:):):D

Not a serious suggestion! But I'd like to point out that "brothers" has often been used in anglophone countires as an alternative to "comrades" (compagni); perhaps it still is in some trade unions, unless they say "brothers and sisters".. Meloni's "brothers" would kill themselves before calling each other "comrade" (but they might like "camerati").

theartichoke

English - Canada
    It would: technically ‘sibling’ fits the bill, but the register is far from everyday.
    I'd add that it's less the register than the fact that "siblings" is never, or almost never, used metaphorically. "Brother" and "sister" are used in all kinds of non-literal contexts, but "sibling" only for a literal brother or sister.