fraud

sunyaer

Chinese
Self-made sentence:

My credit card company called me saying that my card is at risk for fraudulent usage, for which I will be given a new card.

I asked: "has there been any fraud using my card?"

What I was trying to use is the word "fraud", "fraudulent" or "fraudulence", also I was attempting to use the structure "there has been...".

If the above sentence doesn't sound natural, would a natural one with the above intended vocabulary and sentence pattern be suggested?

• sdgraham

USA English
    A fraud cannot use a credit card.

"Fraudulent use" of my card is good although they might not know until you report it.....

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree with Mr Graham about the phrase "fraudulent use". Actually, as he says, fraudulent use is usually discovered by the legitimate credit card holder, one of two ways: (1) You realize you have lost your card (or it's been stolen) and someone else may be using it; or, (2) you look at your monthly statement and see, on the list of purchases, an item that you never bought, so even though you still have your card, someone is charging things to your account number. (The second once happened to me.) You then report it to the credit card company, and they will issue a new card to you, with a new account number.

I don't know how the credit card company would know about possible fraudulent use if you didn't report it. If I got such a call, my question would be something like: Why do you think my card is at risk for fraudulent use?

sunyaer

Chinese

I don't know how the credit card company would know about possible fraudulent use if you didn't report it. If I got such a call, my question would be something like: Why do you think my card is at risk for fraudulent use?
    The credit company said that their security department is monitoring and find that my card number might have been known by someone else, thus putting my card at risk. That's why I didn't understand their process and asked "(how did you know,) has there been any fraudulent use of my card?"

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Well, they do monitor your card activity. If suddenly you make a few big purchases in a short period of time, or if your card is used in a city/country where you don't normally use it, they might either shut off the card or try to contact you to ensure that the card hasn't been lost, stolen, or hijacked.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Interesting, Lucas; I hadn't known that. I suspect that the outfit involved in my incident wasn't doing so at the time, or they'd have noticed some very uncharacteristic charges. But that would explain what happened in Sunyaer's case (I'm assuming he's related an actual experience).

london calling

UK English
    My bank called me last month and said that my card was at risk and asked my permission to block it (which I did, just in case). They sent me a new one immediately. I also asked why they thought there had been fraudulent use of my card (nothing had been charged to it which I didn't know about).

Has there been any fraud using my card? sounds odd to me as well.;)

< Previous | Next >