free agent

< Previous | Next >

k_georgiadis

English (AmE)
Referring to a "free agent," (a free wheeler, someone who does not feel constrained by rules or regulations), Oxford-Paravia gives the predictable explanation:

"essere libero da vincoli e da responsabilità."

Isn't there a more concise way to express "free-agent" in Italian?

• Necsus

Italian (Italy)
    Hi, k_g. Also Hazon says: "to be a free agent, agire secondo la propria volontà", clearly it's not referred to a profession. What do you mean exactly, maybe 'freelance' or something like that?

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It seems like it might not be translated HERE.
    If you google with "free agent" and some Italian words...you see it in the midst of the sentence untranslated.

DesertCat

inglese | English
    Typically, a free agent is someone in sports who is free to sign a contract with any team. In non-sports usage, it's similar to a free spirit.

For example, I've heard it used in the context where a man dates a lot of women and isn't tied to one and other people say he's a free agent. But, it's generally not a term that is used much outside of sports.

stella_maris_74

Mod About Chocolate
    Italian - Italy
    Typically, a free agent is someone in sports who is free to sign a contract with any team. In non-sports usage, it's similar to a free spirit.
    Also "spirito libero" could work, then, I guess?

Ciao,

dani

EDIT: another option has just occurred to me: "cane sciolto". What do you people think?

k_georgiadis

English (AmE)
    Exactly, it refers to a person's attitude snd has nothing to do with free agency related to sports. Since the character in question is female, would "donna libera" work here?

Thank you all!

kittykate

Member Emeritus
    Italy - Italian
    Exactly, it refers to a person's attitude snd has nothing to do with free agency related to sports. Since the character in question is female, would "donna libera" work here?

Thank you all!
    Hi k,
    "donna libera" actually means that she's not engaged, or an independent person, and the like.
    I vote for Stella Maris' "spirito libero". You can say Quella donna è uno spirito libero

caterina

< Previous | Next >