free-of-charge aid and assistance

apoziopeza

slovak
Hi,

Please advise,

In the context below, relating to food waste prevention, would you use literal translation A or revised version B?

Thanks,

A.

A The activity of the food bank consists in [food] donation and distribution and its work relies on voluntary free-of-charge aid and [money and/or supermarket surplus food provisions] donation.
B The food bank donates and distributes food and its activity relies on free-of-charge aid and assistance.

• Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    What do you consider the difference between 'voluntary' and 'free-of-charge' in A?
    If the food bank's activity relies on volunteers' work, then 'unpaid' is better than 'free of charge.' Workers in a place like a food bank or a grocery store supply their labor and are paid for it. Professional people like doctors and lawyers charge fees for their services.

apoziopeza

slovak
    What do you consider the difference between 'voluntary' and 'free-of-charge' in A?
    If the food bank's activity relies on volunteers' work, then 'unpaid' is better than 'free of charge.' Workers in a place like a food bank or a grocery store supply their labor and are paid for it. Professional people like doctors and lawyers charge fees for their services.
    Thanks.

What about this? I have to check with the author, but I guess this might be what he meant. I have to keep there free-of-charge or unpaid so as you corrected noted it will be related to some professional services provided for free.

The activity of the food bank consists in donation and distribution and its work relies on voluntary and free-of-charge aid [of organizations, lawyers].

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    Ah, that makes sense. Lawyers sometimes call their free-of-charge work 'pro bono work.' [from Latin, work for (the common) good].

apoziopeza

slovak
    Thanks. Can I use "pro bono" to aid in general, not related only to lawyers?
    Can I say? -
    The activity of the food bank consists in donation and distribution and its work relies on voluntary and free-of-charge aid and assistance? Or, alternatively, help and aid or aid and gifts? Thanks.

< Previous | Next >