free ride

interpreter1

Spanish
I am translating for a school district. The program prepares 4-12 grade for college. It is a program that helps students work hard and develop good study habits. The flyer says:

the program is not a free ride. Meaning, it is not something that will be easy to do (con mucho esfuerzo) and that the person would have to give up a lot other things in order to focus and finish the program. Can someone help me to translate it into spanish so it sounds as if a native speaker would say it.

I think my attempt would be: el exito del programa no se obtiene sin esfuerzo.

• interpreter1

Spanish
    Well, is this a widely know idiom in most hispanic countries? Sounds good to me and it makes sence. It seems to have kept the same register.

ariannaj

English/Spanish, USA
    " Well, is this a widely know idiom in most hispanic countries?"

If this is for publication in the US, I wouldn't use it; I would use the translation that you proposed.

interpreter1

Spanish
    ariannaj - i will take your advise since i didn't get other suggestions. I appreciate all of you. Have a great day!!!!

kiquito

Spanish, Peru
    Hola, foreros!
    My suggestion in this case would require to work the other say around; meaning, to phrase the idea stating what it is ["la participacion en este programa requiere un gran esfuerzo"], not what it is'nt ["el exito del programa no se obtiene sin esfuerzo".
    I would love to hear other suggestions, bye for now,

kiquito

interpreter1

Spanish
    Hola, foreros!
    My suggestion in this case would require to work the other say around; meaning, to phrase the idea stating what it is ["la participacion en este programa requiere un gran esfuerzo"], not what it is'nt ["el exito del programa no se obtiene sin esfuerzo".
    I would love to hear other suggestions, bye for now,

kiquito

You, I actually just checked back on this posting and what you suggested is excactly what I put in my translation. Thank you for your prompt response.