free sample

nicolass

Italy-italian
Good morning all,

I am translating a letter regarding an electrical product where I also offer to send a free sample.

I cannot find the word free sample and what I find does not really convince me. I found Probestuck and Probestueck.

What do you think?

Many thanks
Nicolass

• Cpt.Eureka

German
    Gratisprobe,
    Gratismuster,
    Kostenloses Muster,
    Kostenlose Probe,
    Testexemplar,

Beispiel:
    "Gern senden wir Ihnen ein Gratismuster / Testexemplar zur Ansicht zu."

nicolass

Italy-italian
    Gratisprobe,
    Gratismuster,
    Kostenloses Muster,
    Kostenlose Probe,
    Testexemplar,

Beispiel:
    "Gern senden wir Ihnen ein Gratismuster / Testexemplar zur Ansicht zu."

------------
    Many thanks CPt Eureka,
    this is very helpful !

regards
    nicolass

sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    It also depends on the kind of business you're dealing with.

In bookselling the term "Freiexemplar" is used (this is not a specific Austrian terms but also widely used in Germany); other terms like "Gratisprobe" or "kostenloses Muster" would even sound wrong in bookselling.
    You only may differentiate here between either "Freiexemplar" (which is a book as sold in stores but for free) or "Prüfexemplar" (sent to teachers for free in the hope that they'd introduce it in their school) on the one hand and "Leseexemplar" on the other hand (the latter is stamped by some publishing houses "Leseexemplar" so that it couldn't be sold, some even only offer a "Leseprobe" = only part of the whole text).

In other economic sectors other names may be used or preferred, or other terms are even obligatory. So all terms listed by Cpt. Eureka are perfectly correct too and may be the appropriate terms in specific contexts.

So the point is: what term you should use depends on context here; all those terms are not interchangeable. :)

< Previous | Next >