freelancer who has the 'chops'

< Previous | Next >

fanyun

Chinese mandarin
This is a sentence I quote from a free report by a internet business guru in which he talks about right entrepreneurial mindsets.

"And the odds of stumbling upon a freelancer who has the chops to really help are a thousand to one.

It takes a month or more to run your help-wanted ads... to interview the applicants who pass muster...to conduct second interviews with the cream of the chop"

I've looked up in Visual Thesaurus and have found no appropriate meaning which I believe would serve right in this convext. I'd appreciate any input about the specific meaning of chop in this context.

Also an additional question, does muster mean a group of people(in this context, candidates) here? I'm not 100% sure about it and would like someone to confirm it.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Fanyun

• Lincourt

Spanish
    i have a dictionary definition for you:

Πnoun 1[C] a thick slice of meat with a bone attached to it, especially from a pig or sheep:
    a pork / lamb chop2[C] an act of cutting sth with a quick downward movement using an axe or a knife3[C] an act of hitting sb/sth with the side of your hand in a quick downward movement:
    a karate chop4chops [pl.] (informal) the part of a person’s or an animal’s face around the mouth:
    The dog sat licking its chops.

and ill paste here the whole entry:

<<moderator note: there is a maximum of four lines of quoted material allowed, per forum rules. Excess quotation deleted. You are welcome to post a link to the full definition.>>

EDIT: i pasted the definition i had on my dictionary :S

and regarding muster: i believe it does. here is my dictionary´s definition of the word

Πnoun: a group of people, especially soldiers, that have been brought together:
    muster stations (= parts of a building, a ship, etc. that people must go to if there is an emergency)

i hope that will help you!

Last edited:

bluegiraffe

English - England
    "And the odds of stumbling upon a freelancer who has the chops to really help are a thousand to one.
    I don't know this expression
    It takes a month or more to run your help-wanted ads... to interview the applicants who pass muster...to conduct second interviews with the cream of the chop"
    Shouldn't this be "cream of the crop"? Are you sure this isn't a mistake?

Also an additional question, does muster mean a group of people(in this context, candidates) here? I'm not 100% sure about it and would like someone to confirm it.
    you need to open a new thread about this as you are only allowed one question per thread. The phrase is "to pass muster".

JamesM

"Cream of the chop" definitely looks like a typo, but Myridon's definition of "has the chops" is very familiar to me. (I suppose "cream of the chop" could be a bad play on words for "cream of the crop" where it means "desirable candidates remaining after the initial winnowing.")

Last edited:

fanyun

Chinese mandarin
    Guys, thank you for your explanation, now they make sense to me.

Yes, I made a mistake typing cream of the chop originally, thanks for correcting me for that.

Regards,
    Fanyun

< Previous | Next >