fregona

< Previous | Next >
  • Dlyons

English - Ireland
    I heard this on a Mexican TV show: "Mi hermana es bien fregona."

But it can't literally mean mop:D ...so anyone?
    Quiere decir una persona que está muy bien.

Otro sentido, una persona que hace algo bien p.ej. "Mi hermana es bien fregona con la costura.

A veces, fregona = mechudo :)

cnith

English Northern California, USA
    lol. No... in Mexican it means she plays around a lot. Meaning a joker (jokester.)

In Salvadoran Spanish (and I think Spaniard too) someone que friega mucho is well.. a horse with no "s"...if you get the meaning...

So be careful if you say "No me friegues" because it could get you slapped. If you're talking to a Mexican though, it just means quit bugging me or quit joking around. :)

Edit: What dialect does fregona mean to "mop?" or to do something well? I forget which Spanish but one of them also it means to clean... ie. friega los platos... Unless that's the same as doing something well... ?

cnith

English Northern California, USA
    I'm depending on Google here - there are hits like
    "Eres bien fregona con el Photoshop" on a Mexican site.
    Ah. Good ol' google. Sometimes it gets things right. :) Sometimes it gets things well... weird... lol. :)

However, Mexican Spanish, I noticed has a lot of benevolent words that in other dialects are not so subtle and are in fact rude.

For example, you don't want to say the word "cabron" to a Salvadoran...I think to a Spaniard this would be a huge insult too. You'd get half killed for it, if you're lucky.

Say it to a Mexican, they think you're being cute. It's like saying "bloke" to the British.

(We're Salvadoran) My mother nearly had a coronary when a Mexican woman kept saying that word to her kid. Hey C do this! what are you doing you C... and on and on...

She was ready to kill the poor woman and then someone explained to her the dialect difference. She still didn't like it, but she was happy the mother wasn't insulting her child by calling him such a nasty name.

kat200718

english-USA
    hhmmmmm...from the context I would agree with Dlyons. The sister had gone to Mexico City to become a TV personality but had almost given up. Then by some miracle she got a job and upon finding this out, her sister said triumphantly, "Mi hermana es bien fregona." So what do you think?

rodneyp

US, English
    For example, you don't want to say the word "cabron" to a Salvadoran...I think to a Spaniard this would be a huge insult too. You'd get half killed for it, if you're lucky.

Say it to a Mexican, they think you're being cute. It's like saying "bloke" to the British.
    Cabrón is not cute, it's an insult in Mexico too unless you are very good friends with that person. You can't go around using cabrón with just anyone.

cesarduck

Español - México
    En este caso fregona means "she's good at, she excels...but fregona can also means that she's always bothering around.

You can say "mi hermana/prima/amiga es bien cabrona" meaning the same but it's much more rude. You can say that to peoeple you're confident with.

< Previous | Next >