French literature can be traced back to.....

K4YRY

Wales - English
Hi eveyone,

I am trying to say "French literature can be traced back to the Middle Ages."

I have the phrase I think, but I can't find an equivilant in French for the English "traced back"

So far I have, "La littérature francophonie peut être (traced back) au Moyen- Âge"

Can any one suggest an alternative or something for the phrase "traced back"

Thanks!!

• K4YRY

Wales - English
    Thanks guys!

Sorry I meant literature from french speaking countries, which is why I used Francaphonie??

victoria1

Mauritius - English & French
    La littérature française (francophone?) remonte au Moyen-Âge?
    Tout à fait Missrapunzel! La lilttérature francophone désigne d'habitude toute la littérature provenant d'un pays francophone, ex. littérature canadienne, africaine, etc.

veryshy

Morocco/ Arabic
    Don't forget "can be", so; la litterature peut remonter au moyen âge.
    If you say;" elle remonte" that means you're sure! But the writer is saying; it can be traced back to..
    Am I right ?

Missrapunzel

French (France)
    Don't forget "can be", so; la litterature peut remonter au moyen âge.
    If you say;" elle remonte" that means you're sure! But the writer is saying; it can be traced back to..
    Am I right ?
    I am afraid I don't quite understand the same thing as you, veryshy. :(
    I think "can be traced" means that we managed to find traces of literature back in the Middle Ages.
    To me, it is like saying "The boat can be seen from the shore" -> we are sure that the boat is visible.
    Other opinions are welcome! :)

sorry66

English, England
    I think the 'remonte au' which I (2nd post) and others used is correct because the 'can' in the English sentence is indicating something quite definite.

hunternet

France - French
    my try :

--> pour trouver trace de la littérature française, il (nous) faut remonter (le temps) jusqu'au Moyen Âge.

< Previous | Next >