fresh/clear paper/breeze

< Previous | Next >

Cloudy-aw

Italy, Italian
Hello friends,

There are three sentences, each one with a gap.
You must fill the gaps with only one word that fits appropriately in all the three sentences.

1. If you make a mistake, I'll give you a ......... sheet of paper.

2. Years ago we went to New York City, memories of that vacation are still ............ in my mind.

3. We're having nice weather, not too hot. This nice ........ breeze is really enjoyable.

I wrote "fresh", but then I thought that perhaps a sheet of paper can't be fresh. After some pondering I changed it to "clear", but I suspect that my first choice was the correct one.

Question : I know the air can be clean but can a breeze be clear ?

Thank you for your help
Claudio

• kayokid

English, USA
    Hello.
    If the blanks must all contain the same word I would choose "fresh".
    A fresh piece of paper is possible although I would say my first choice would be " a clean sheet of paper". A memory can be fresh in ones mind. They could also be vivid. In that case I would be tempted to end the sentence right there. ... (the) memories of that vacation are still vivid.
    A breeze can certainly be described as fresh.
    Hope this helps.

ericscot

I agree that "fresh" is probably the best choice if you have to use the same word in all three instances. "Clean sheet of paper" is probably more common, but I actually like the sound of a fresh sheet of paper a little better. It's like saying I'm going to have a fresh start.

Cheers!

Cloudy-aw

Italy, Italian
    The blanks must be filled with the same word, therefore "fresh" seems to be the only possible choice.

So, yes kayokid, your reply confirms that I failed to answer.

Never mind...
    Ciao
    Claudio

EDIT: and thanks to ericscot too.

< Previous | Next >