fresh water... collected from a source

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
The nuance of "collected" is a bit puzzling here to me.

If you are collecting firewood. it is easy to understand: you pick up one piece of wood after another, bringing them together home.

But what is the situation for collecting water? Does it mean you get water one ladle after another into your bucket? Or does it simply mean you drop your blue plastic bucket into the water and lift it and then carry it back to your hut?

Thanks in advance

I had this uncanny sensation in 1997 when I was flipping through a magazine and stumbled on the following passage:
"I was walking through a pine forest, returning to my hut along a narrow path trodden into the steep slope of the hillside. I struggled forward carrying a blue plastic bucket filled with fresh water that I had just collected from a source at the upper end of the valley.

-Sci Am

Source

• Barque

Tamil
    Does it mean you get water one ladle after another into your bucket? Or does it simply mean you drop your blue plastic bucket into the water and lift it and then go back to your hut?
    It could have been either.

It just means he collected a bucketful of water or that he filled a bucket with water.

< Previous | Next >