Freshen up / get freshened up

< Previous | Next >

kanu

I freshen up in the morning around 8o'clock am.

I get freshened up in the morning around 8o'clock am.

I would like to go with 1) what is your opinion ?

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Yes, the first (assuming you do it yourself and it's not done for you by a servant), with two small corrections: (1) "8o'clock" should be "8 o'clock", with a space after the number (or preferably, "eight o'clock", since we usually spell out small numbers); and (2) drop the "am", since it's redundant ("in the morning" says it).

Last edited:

kanu

Will second mean that someone freshens me up ? like I freshened up my room with flower's scent
    Yes, the first (assuming you do it yourself and it's not done for you by a servant), with two small corrections: (1) "8o'clock" should be "8 o'clock", with a space after the number (or preferably, "eight o'clock", since we usually spell out small numbers); and drop the "am", since it's redundant ("in the morning" says it).

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Note that it makes little sense to say that you are getting "freshened up" at 8 in the morning unless you got up, bathed, and dressed at perhaps 2 in the morning, or maybe stayed up all night. To "freshen up" and to bathe/shower/wash when you get up in the morning are not the same thing.

lgr632525968

Chinese
    Hi,

I wonder how you describe a series of activities after getting up, like brushing your teeth, getting dressed, washing your face and making up, etc.

Thank you.

lgr632525968

Chinese
    Note that it makes little sense to say that you are getting "freshened up" at 8 in the morning unless you got up, bathed, and dressed at perhaps 2 in the morning, or maybe stayed up all night. To "freshen up" and to bathe/shower/wash when you get up in the morning are not the same thing.
    Hi,GWB.

I do remember I saw "freshen up" in Desperate Housewives but I can't remember it happened in which episode. Sorry for that.

Chuck, Bree's boyfriend was about to hang out with Bree. But Bree told him " Wait a second. I need to freshen up." This happened in the afternoon or in the evening. After that, Bree went downstairs to get changed,comb her hair and so on.

Is it a regional difference?

lgr632525968

Chinese
    Hi, Parla.

I wonder how Americans call a series of activities before going out.

For example, I am about to go shopping with my roommates at 2 pm. When it is 1:50 pm, I tell my friend "I still have ten minutes to ( )." I mean I need to comb my hair, get changed etc because I am a little messy when I am in the dormitory.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I'd say, "to get ready" if I have to change my clothes. I would say "to freshen up", if I was going to wash my face, brush my hair and so on, but not change my clothes.

< Previous | Next >