freshman, sophomore, senior

carlberto

spanish
A person in their first year at university is a "freshman", in second a "sophomore", what do you call somebody in third year??
And... if these are American terms (according to The Cambridge on-line dictionary), what are the British equivalents.
And...do the same words apply for somebody in their tertiary studies?
I will very much appreciate your answers!!:)

• jess oh seven

UK/US English
    If you are referring to university education, there are no special names for the British equivalents.

US
    Freshman
    Sophomore
    Junior
    Senior

UK
    First-year student
    Second-year student
    Third-year student
    Fourth/final-year student

Hielo

United States, English
    Here in the University of California system, it is becoming more difficult for the students to complete the requirements (as course requirements are added), thus we frequently use the terms:
    First year student
    Second year student
    Third year student
    Fourth year student
    Fifth year student

Although, I have to admit, it is primarily the pre-medical students who get into their fifth year without graduating due to ever-increasing expectations in the field.

Manish Jangir

english
    A person in their first year at university is a "freshman", in second a "sophomore", what do you call somebody in third year??
    And... if these are American terms (according to The Cambridge on-line dictionary), what are the British equivalents.
    And...do the same words apply for somebody in their tertiary studies?
    I will very much appreciate your answers!!:)
    A person in his second last (last but one) year is called Penultimate.

Mr.Dent

English American
    Penultimate makes sense when the definition of the word is considered, but I have never heard it used in the USA.

Cariberto, please explain what you mean by tertiary studies. In the USA we have high school (secondary education), then college or university (tertiary education).

< Previous | Next >