frewak

BigJo33400

French - France
Hi everyone, it is my first post on this great site/app/concept/... ;) i use for many years because I love words and languages and an English degree student friend of mine told me about WR.
I was born in France with Spanish origins from my father. I speak better English than Spanish surprisingly.
Anyway, my request:
It is the word in the title, frewak. I wrote it correctly, there's no typo but maybe it's invented or maybe doesn't even exist.
This slang(?) word comes from the Red Hot Chili Peppers' song lyrics, "Coffee Shop" on their 1995 album "One Hot Minute". :thumbsup:
The singer says it in the chorus, here it is :
"Meet me at the coffee shop
We can dance like Iggy Pop
Another go in the parking lot
Frewak the cheek on your hot spot"

By (hard)Googling half an hour, I found poor information but it helped me understand (one of) the implied meaning(s) of "hot spot" and mostly the overall meaning of the 4th line.

If you have any idea or clue, I'd be happy to read and discuss. Thank you.
BigJo

• BigJo33400

French - France
    Well, thanks a lot for such a quick graphic answer.
    Why is it so hard to find any reference on the internet?
    Does the pronounciation affects the typing?
    Like a slang word that is only said but not written first then comes to be?
    Is it almost "freak" , right?
    Too many questions maybe...

riyanswat

Pashto
    Well, thanks a lot for such a quick graphic answer.
    Why is it so hard to find any reference on the internet?
    Does the pronounciation affects the typing?
    Like a slang word that is only said but not written first then comes to be?
    Is it almost "freak" , right?
    Too many questions maybe...
    I don't know. :(
    I've never heard 'freewak' before.

BigJo33400

French - France
    I've just listened to the song, and it sounds to me like "Both cheek to cheek on your hotspot", which would make sense. More sense than 'frewak' anyway.
    Oh thanks! I'm not a native English speaker and though it seemed he said another thing than "frewak". I didn't dare to ask someone to listen to the song. The phonetics didn't match. Now it's way better. Thanks again :thumbsup: I'll sleep better!

BigJo33400

French - France
    In my search I found this picture, a meme. Original website is sometimes down but here's the preview on google
    20200330_092501.jpg

Another occurrence of this word. I don't have references to understand that meme.

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    Here's what I heard.

A freaky cheek on your hot spot.

Obviously I don't know if it's right or wrong (or even what it means if it's right) but that's what I hear. It definitely doesn't match the pattern of "frewak".

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    I think this must be a typographical error that's being perpetuated. I hear "freak" when I listened to the song just now. Given where the letters are on the keyboard throwing a w into between an e and an a would be very easy.

Randisi.

American English; USA
    "Freak the cheek on a hot spot" is most likely sexual innuendo.: hot spot, where you get hot sexually.

Interestingly, wifi wasn't invented yet in 1995, so the coffee shop and wifi hot spot word play I first thought of seems out of the question.

BigJo33400

French - France
    :D Randisi. What a fun idea you had! Good thinking to dismiss it with context.
    And Ponyprof you're right, it could be such a possibility, I thought about that. I hadn't found any other version of lyrics, I wondered if the lyrics were in the cd. I don't have this album so I can't check. Maybe the error is in there since the album came out.
    Thank you to all to share your skills and point of view anyway!

Last edited:

BigJo33400

French - France
    Here's what I heard.

A freaky cheek on your hot spot.

Obviously I don't know if it's right or wrong (or even what it means if it's right) but that's what I hear. It definitely doesn't match the pattern of "frewak".
    My favourite choice for the hearing although, like you said, the grammar isn't obvious and so the meaning!

< Previous | Next >