friend/boyfriend and girlfriend

vinvin75

English - Australia
Hello,

I would like to know how to say ”male friend/female friend” and ”boyfriend and girlfriend” in Romanian?

I have noticed that ”prieten/prietenă” which means both male friend/female friend and boyfriend/girlfriend??

How do you say a male friend in Romanian?
How do you say a female friend in Romanian?
How do you say a boyfriend in Romanian?
How do you say a girlfriend in Romanian?

Can you please give me the correct words for them?

Thank you very much if you would help me. I am learning Romanian language and I am very beginner!
I notice that Romanian language is a really difficult to learn, but I am trying to do this harder!

• naicul

Romanian
    How do you say a male friend in Romanian?
    Prieten.
    How do you say a female friend in Romanian?
    Prietenă.
    How do you say a boyfriend in Romanian?
    Iubit.
    How do you say a girlfriend in Romanian?
    Iubită.

But, as you say, prieten/prietenă could sometimes be used as boyfriend/girlfriend, especially amongst kids or adolescents.

Lucian Hodoboc

Romanian - Romania
    While we do have words that refer exclusively to the status of people who are in a romantic relationship ("iubit" = boyfriend; "iubită" = girlfriend), in Romanian the words "prieten" and "prietenă" can mean both "friend" and "boy/girlfriend", depending on the context.

Usually, a male will rarely refer to a female as "prietena mea" and a female will rarely refer to a male friend as "prietenul meu" meaning my friend unless they knew that the person they are talking to knows them well enough as to understand that they are referring to just a friendship. If the person they are talking to is not someone who knows them well enough, it is recommended to use the words "iubit" and/or "iubită" to refer to romantic relationships as to avoid confusion.

To stress the fact that the person you are referring to is simply a friend, you can ad the article "un" for "prieten" and "o" for "prietenă", thus making it clear that you are referring to someone with whom is only a friend (meaning "one of my friends"). This is because the words "prieten" and "prietenă" have been so frequently used with the meaning boyfriend and girlfriend that they have acquired them their secondary meanings, as it is noted in the Romanian dictionary.