friendly reminder or kindly reminder?

fujisan

Japanese
Hello,
Is there any difference between "this is a friendly reminder" and "this is a kindly reminder"?
Which of them is proper to use when you use the phrase in email from teachers to student's parents?
Thank you very much.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    "Friendly" is an adjective. "Kindly" is an adverb. Adjectives modify nouns. Adverbs modify verbs. "Reminder" is a noun. So, now, which word would you choose - friendly or kindly? :)

郭巨路

Chinese
    hehe, I think what fujisan actually meant to ask is the difference between " a friendly reminder" and " a kind reminder".

Personlly, I'd prefer " a kind reminder", which sounds more friendly than " this is a friendly reminder"........... to me,of course. :)

Last edited:
    "Kindly" can be an adjective, too. It means benevolent, gentle and agreeable. It's more often applied to people than to things, which is one reason why friendly reminder is the right choice in fujisan's post. The other reason is that "friendly reminder" is a stock phrase used for exactly this purpose - as a way of softening a reminder so that it does not sound like nagging. In fact, it is the usual phrase for this purpose, which is yet another reason it is the better choice.

Last edited:

fujisan

Japanese
    Thank you all for replying my question.

I understand "kindly" can be used as an adjective in a phrase such as "this is just a kindly reminder that ~"

What I would like to ask was which would be proper to use when you remind your students' parents of something, " this is a kindly reminder that ~ " or " this is a friendly reminder that" ?

"a little edgy", do you mean "this is a kindly reminder" is proper in this case?

Thank you.

Fujisan, if you reread post #4, you'll see that I suggest "friendly reminder." It is a common phrase used for exactly the purpose you intend. "Kindly" is usually applied only to people and, while not grammatically wrong, would look odd if used as you propose. Stick to friendly reminder - that's my recommendation.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Friendly reminder" is the standard phrase. As a little edgy wrote: anything else, even if its dictionary meaning is the same and it is grammatically correct, would look odd.

fujisan

Japanese
    "a little edgy", I was not sure I fully understood your suggestion in post #4. Now I understand it perfectly!!

I found both phrases in a dictionary and got confused which to use in the case. Your posts are really helpful!!
    Thank you.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >