friendly reminder

Dunno Jack

korean
Hi,

Coming from the Korean forum where I replied to a post on how to translate 'friendly reminder' into Korean.
I realize there's no such ready-made two-words phrase in Korean. One can make one but it will sound stilted and foreign.
My reply was that instead of titling your reminder 'friendly', you should compose the reminder message in a friendly manner.

Now the question - are there any hidden connotations in "friendly reminder" one may find? I've definitely seen that phrase and I know what it means but I'm not sure if the word 'friendly is necessary. Apart from the intention of the speaker/writer or the surface meaning, what I imagine is something volatile, i.e. friendly for now, not so friendly later. Ultimately what I'm asking is, does this actually convey warm and fuzzy feelings? Is it a nice touch to say 'friendly reminder' when you're reminding others of something?

• RedwoodGrove

English, USA
    I would speculate that it arose out of a concern that some people become resentful about being reminded about something they need to do or should do. It can be taken as nagging. Additionally, if you're in the marketing business you tend to be careful not to alienate people. So in my view the typical friendly reminder is friendly, but one says it that way to avoid a negative reaction. In years gone by people used to say "a word to the wise". A similar sentiment would be, "Don't shoot the messenger, but ..." Offering advice or reminders without being asked can be seen as offensive by some. That my impression.

Dunno Jack

korean
    I would speculate that it arose out of a concern that some people become resentful about being reminded about something they need to do or should do. It can be taken as nagging. Additionally, if you're in the marketing business you tend to be careful not to alienate people. So in my view the typical friendly reminder is friendly, but one says it that way to avoid a negative reaction. In years gone by people used to say "a word to the wise". A similar sentiment would be, "Don't shoot the messenger, but ..." Offering advice or reminders without being asked can be seen as offensive by some. That my impression.
    I see. My impression was the person who's reminding is already this close to getting mad and trying to keep their composure :)
    Thanks for your reply!

< Previous | Next >