friendship of lovers

< Previous | Next >

Oben Boll

American English
What is the "friendship of lovers"?
[Topic question added to post. DonnyB - moderator]

For what it's worth, the song this phrase comes from is a tribute to Phil Lynott, of Thin Lizzy

Steve Perry said:
In the friendship of lovers lives the joy of the heart
And when trust is forsaken, our whole world falls apart

Last edited by a moderator:
  • owlman5

English-US
    I take this phrase to mean exactly what it says. Husbands and wives can certainly be friends, and so can other people who love each other. This refers to the friendship that lovers have.

Oben Boll

American English
    I take this phrase to mean exactly what it says. Husbands and wives can certainly be friends, and so can other people who love each other. This refers to the friendship that lovers have.
    The song was a tribute to his dead friend (and both were heterosexual males), so it doesn't make sense

owlman5

English-US
    What else do you think "the friendship of lovers" is supposed to mean? To me, it can only refer to the friendship between two lovers. I don't know exactly what the writer of that song was trying to express, but the phrase has an obvious meaning, and I don't really see any way to read any other meaning into it. I have no idea whether the "lovers" in the song include Phil Lynott and some woman or somebody else. You may find clues to help you with that question somewhere in the song.

Last edited:

Oben Boll

American English
    What else do you think "the friendship of lovers" is supposed to mean? To me, it can only refer to the friendship between two lovers. I don't know what exactly what the writer of that song was trying to express, but the phrase has an obvious meaning, and I don't really see any way to read any other meaning into it. I have no idea whether the "lovers" in the song include Phil Lynott and some woman or somebody else. You may find clues to help you with that question somewhere in the song.
    thanks

there is a "she" mentioned later in the song

< Previous | Next >