from across?

Jardino

Korean
topic
During London Fashion Week, buyers from across the world spend around £100m on orders. Many companies are using social media to reach this global market. Burberry puts its catwalk show on the internet so customers can watch online wherever they are.

from across? is it corret to right across from? I can not find ' from across ' in dictioanry.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    This is perfectly correct. It's not a set phrase, just a combination of two prepositions. For example:
    • Seoul and Singapore are the other side of the world from London: they are across the world.
    • Buyers came from Seoul and Singapore: they came from across the world.

lingobingo

English - England
    I would say that “across the world” certainly is a set phrase, but it doesn’t work very well when preceded by “from”. In that case “[from] all over the world” is much more common.

Barque

Tamil
    "From across" sounds all right to me but I think the intended meaning here is better expressed by "from around the world" or "from all over the world" as Lingobingo says.

I can not find ' from across ' in dictioanry.
    I cannot find "from across" in the dictionary.

Dictionaries define single words and idioms and set phrases, not common combinations.

lingobingo

English - England
    I didn’t mean to suggest you can’t say “from across the world” — if you search it, Google will immediately come up with more than 50 million hits for it!

But with “from”, “all over the world” is much more common, as N-Grams also confirm.

< Previous | Next >