From an ethnic backgrorund

kevinfinger

Chinese
Dear all,

When I was reading the demographics of a trial participants, I found that 21% of them was from an ethnic background.
Yet, doesn't every one has an ethnic background? What does the phrase mean? Does it refer to things like "minority races?"

Thanks in advance!!

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Dear all,

When I was reading the demographics of a trial's participants, I found that 21% of them was were from an ethnic background.
    Yet, doesn't every one everyone has have an ethnic background? What does the phrase mean? Does it refer to things like "minority races?"

Thanks in advance!!
    I think that we need more information about where this trial was, and what the makeup of the participants was (Caucasian, Asian, etc.). Some people's/country's definition of "ethnic" can be very different from others.

Hermocrates

Italian & British English (bilingual)
    Yes, while I personally dislike this phrasing (and its implications), the expression "from an ethnic background" is used to imply that the people you are referring to "belong to a minority ethnic group" (as opposed to the "majority", which is perceived as a "standard" of sorts).

Rye

< Previous | Next >