(from) closer up

KennyHun

Hungarian
Hi everyone,

Can you look at/inspect something from closer up? Or just closer up? Maybe neither work, and I should just stick with: look at something more closely?
(This came up in the other thread I just posted where I wrote '(they) inspect your ticket from closer up' which on second thought doesn't sound so great, but I'm really not sure. Not a lot of Google matches either.

Thanks in advance.

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    You can say "let's look at it from closer up". You can also say it without 'from'. Inspecting your ticket from closer up is OK.
    In this instance, I like more closely.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    '(They) inspect your ticket from closer up' does not sound great, it is a little substandard, although you may hear it informally.

"from closer up" means that the distance between the observer and the item being observed has reduced considerably. "Do you see that castle over there? Let's go towards it. From closer up you can see that all the windows have cannons in them."

It is not a synonym of "closely" - closely = minutely/in detail/with great care.'

By '(they) inspect your ticket from closer up'you probably mean "'(they) inspect your ticket closely/minutely/in detail.'

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Close up refers to physical distance. You inspect a ticket close up by lifting it to near your eyes. If that's not good enough, you can lift it even closer to your eyes.

BG's More closely is used metaphorically. It means to make a more detailed investigation of the ticket.

crossposted w PaulQ

KennyHun

Hungarian
    Hi again, I have a similar question now. If I have footage of a lizard crossing a road then another where I am standing next to the bush it is in, what version of the following sentence would you say?

"This is what it looks like from closer/closer up/from closer up."?

For some reason, there are next to no Google results for "looks like from closer/closer up/from closer up". So the idea that the second piece of footage shows the lizard from closer. (I guess this is sentence is also incorrect then, because it has "from closer".)

Thanks in advance.

KennyHun

Hungarian
    Yeah, it brings up 565 results, which isn't nothing, but given the prevalence of English, I would have expected more. That's why I asked the question here, Google isn't a surefire way to check these things. Thanks.

< Previous | Next >