<from> cognitive <through> affective <to> stances

< Previous | Next >

laimita

Colombia-Spanish
Hi. I would like to know if this particular use of "from...through...to" is correct. It comes from a text on loyalty in tourism business management.

"The definitions of satisfaction found in the literature result from different approaches that go from cognitive through affective to stances indicating the cumulative character of the transaction."

I mean that there are three definition types for satisfaction: the cognitive and affective ones, and those that indicate ...

• Copyright

American English
    You say that it comes from a text, but then you say "I mean ...."
    Is this from published material and you're trying to understand it, or are you writing it and wondering if the structure is all right?

EStjarn

Spanish
    I would like to know if this particular use of "from...through...to" is correct.
    There seem to be (at least) two sets of prepositions for expressing a series the way you propose: the apparently less common 'from - through - to' and the apparently more common 'from - to - to'. ~ Google Web and Google Books yield numerous relevant hits for the search string "from * through * to". And the following examples are from BNC and COCA:
    "But this intersection is not a Hegelian movement from thesis through antithesis to eventual synthesis."

"We are accustomed to the " arrow of time " pointing in a single direction: from past through present to future."

"Draft beer from the tap has to be refrigerated from brewery through truck to under the bar."

"... the look of the proprietor altered from blankness through annoyance to indignation."
    These examples have been randomly selected. In spite of that, I notice they share a quality which I can't find in the topic sentence: they all seem to describe a natural sequence, i.e. a sequence that would be expected. In the topic sentence, from my layman's perspective, the order seems arbitrary. One can, however, find examples of 'arbitrary sequences' as well, for instance:
    "... the Victorian " genius for analysis and definition ", a genius which led them to classify everything from insects through households to societies."

"Academic excellence was matched with extra-curricular activities of every description -- from drama through sport to foreign travel."

"They work at a wide range of occupations, from glassblowers through secretaries to nuclear physicists."

< Previous | Next >