...from cold of something...

Discussion in 'English Only' started by shiningstar, Jan 24, 2010.

1. shiningstar

shiningstar Senior Member

turkish
    Hi again,
    I'm working on translation of a report (again EU-backed) and while I was reading it I came across this expression;

The start up of the operation of a new landfill is an unusual event, most landfills are extended on the back of an earlier operation, so the start up from cold of a new landfill is very uncommon.

What does it mean? Is it a common expression?

2. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    The word "of" is not part of the expression; it belongs with what comes next, "of a new landfill".

Starting cold means starting from zero, without a prior basis. Your sentence explains that landfills are usually extended from earlier landfills, in contrast to the idea of starting a new landfill where one had not existed previously. Starting a brand new landfill, rather than extending an existing one, is "starting up from cold".

That said, "start up from cold" is an odd expression to my ears. It is either BE or "EU English".

3. shiningstar

shiningstar Senior Member

turkish
    Thank you Nunty.

4. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    Start up from cold is fairly common in BE. It derives from starting an engine - starting from cold takes more effort and time than starting an engine that is already warm. The meaning is as given by Nunty.