from DAY to ANOTHER DAY

macdevster

USA, English
Ugh, prepositions always slay me in Russian.

To express "from" a particular day to "another" day, i.e., "He lives with his mother from Monday to/through Friday," would it be:

от понедельник к пятнице?
от понедельник через пятницу?

Thanks in advance!

• macdevster

USA, English
    Thanks for the fast reply!

So would that be C + genitive singular and ПО + accusative signular?

Manuel Lucero

ruso (Siberia, Rusia)
    'from Monday to Friday" will be "с понедельника до пятницы", "from Monday through Friday" will be "с понедельника по пятницу".

macdevster

USA, English
    Funny, but I'd be hard pressed to explain the difference between "Monday TO Friday" versus "Monday through Friday" in English. Is there much difference in Russian? Do they essentially mean the same thing?

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    Same in Russian. To me, "с понедельника до пятницы" means exactly the same as "с понедельника по пятницу".

I'd say the former is very slightly more colloquial than the latter (e.g. in an official document you would be more likely to see с понедельника по пятницу).

Manuel Lucero

ruso (Siberia, Rusia)
    I cannot agree that "с понедельника до пятницы" and "с понедельника по пятницу" (and likewise "from Monday to Friday" and "from Monday through Friday") mean the same thing. If I am not very badly mistaken the difference is that "до пятницы" ("to Friday") means "till some time on Friday" whereas "по пятницу" ("through Friday") means "till the end of Friday". Also, I do believe that "до пятницы" is the literary norm in Russian, whereas the expression "по пятницу" was invented, I think, by bureaucrats to satisfy their bureaucratic needs. It cannot be considered good, natural Russian.

Natalisha

Russian
    Funny, but I'd be hard pressed to explain the difference between "Monday TO Friday" versus "Monday through Friday" in English. Is there much difference in Russian? Do they essentially mean the same thing?
    I would never say "с понедельника до пятницы". May be because I see the difference between the prepositions "до" and "по". "С понедельника по пятницу" means "including Friday", while "до пятницы" means "till Friday", "before Friday". But I should admit that there are a lot of people who don't distinguish between them. :(

Manuel Lucero

ruso (Siberia, Rusia)
    I would never say "с понедельника до пятницы". May be because I see the difference between the prepositions "до" and "по". "С понедельника по пятницу" means "including Friday", while "до пятницы" means "till Friday", "before Friday". But I should admit that there are a lot of people who don't distinguish between them.
    You are going to arrive at a place on Monday afternoon and leave on Friday afternoon. Would you say "Я там буду с понедельника по пятницу" или "со вторника по четверг"? I would say "Я там буду с понедельника до пятницы". "с понедельника" means "from some time on Monday", "до пятницы" means "till some time on Friday". In this sense the prepositions "c" and "до" are totally equivalent.

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    I think there's really no difference. That's why if someone needs to be more specific, they say “с понедельника по пятницу включительно”, meaning all of Friday included.

As far as “с... по...” being coined by some er... "bureaucrats" for their perverted "bueraucratic needs" :eek: , I'm not sure about that either. May be some etymologists on this forum could pitch in?

Manuel Lucero

ruso (Siberia, Rusia)
    As far as “с... по...” being coined by some er... "bureaucrats" for their perverted "bueraucratic needs" :eek: , I'm not sure about that either.
    Well, I defy you to produce any example of the usage of "по" in this sense from the pre-revolutionary Russian literature or from any good Russian literature, not tainted with ignorance and bad taste.

Last edited:
    As for me, I would choose "с понедельника до пятницы" when both Monday and Friday are encompassed. Actually, it can also mean that Friday is not included. If I heard someone say to me this, I would specify what exactly they mean, i.e. is Friday included or not. Otherwise the phrase seems to me ambiguous in spoken Russian.

As regards, "с понедельника по пятницу", I think here we do not consider Friday and therefore all the days from Monday till Thursday inclusive. "По" makes me think that by Friday they will have left the place where they have been staying.

Manuel Lucero

ruso (Siberia, Rusia)
    As regards, "с понедельника по пятницу", I think here we do not consider Friday and therefore all the days from Monday till Thursday inclusive. "По" makes me think that by Friday they will have left the place where they have been staying.
    You are leading our foreign friends astray. "с понедельника по пятницу" can mean nothing else but "from Monday through Friday", that is "from Monday till the end of Friday".

Natalisha

Russian
    In my previous post I wrote that I would never say "с...до...". And I never use these two prepositions together (I just want to avoid ambiguity). When other people say "с...до..." I ask additional questions. But I could never imagine that "с...по..." can be misinterpreted.Well, I'll use "c...ПО..." + "ВКЛЮЧИТЕЛЬНО"!:)

Brian P

In my previous post I wrote that I would never say "с...до...". And I never use these two prepositions together (I just want to avoid ambiguity). When other people say "с...до..." I ask additional questions. But I could never imagine that "с...по..." can be misinterpreted.Well, I'll use "c...ПО..." + "ВКЛЮЧИТЕЛЬНО"!:)
    In BE it is Monday to Friday, in AE it is Monday through (sometimes spelled "thru") Friday.

Natalisha

Russian
    In BE it is Monday to Friday, in AE it is Monday through (sometimes spelled "thru") Friday.
    Your comment is very useful. And I want to add that when British people want to be precise they can say "to...inclusive". But are we discussing the usage of English prepositions here? :confused:

You are leading our foreign friends astray. "с понедельника по пятницу" can mean nothing else but "from Monday through Friday", that is "from Monday till the end of Friday".
    I am not leading anyone astray. Here we are communicating with each other via the present forum and we express our opinions and how we understand the usage of words in everyday life. I do not claim that my vesion is absolutely correct, but I wrote how I and some other people might understand the phrase.

macdevster

USA, English
    As a native speaker of English from the US, I can tell you that the difference between Monday to/through Friday is pretty minimal. Both sound inclusive of Friday to my ears, with "through" adding a nuanced emphasis on inclusiveness of Friday. But, honestly, it's not worth debating, at least not the English side of it. What I'm gathering, though, is that a similar debate could be had for the Russian as well.

At the very least it shows how interesting and complex language can be, and how tough these subtleties can be for language
    learners.

< Previous | Next >