from de-carbonating fizzy drinks to declaring their wares the official drink

yyh777

Korean
Hello friends,

This sentence below is retrieved from The Takeout - Even a little bit of soda is a lot not good.

As studies continue to emerge that drinking soda—yes, even the diet ones—is legitimately terrible for most people, soda companies are trying everything from de-carbonating fizzy drinks to declaring their wares the official drink of U.S. states.

I'm trying to understand the meaning of the underlined. But I don't think I quite understand it.

Is it metaphorical or it literally means as-is? Can someone elaborate what it means for me (what soda companies are trying to do?!)?

Thanks,

• suzi br

English / England
    They are trying to improve their image.
    There are a range of strategies for this.

(“From x to y” suggests a range)
    At either end if that range are x and y.
    In this case x= taking the fizz out of fizzy drinks
    Y= linking their name to certain states to accrue “virtue”.

I don’t know why taking the fizz out of fizzy drinks makes them seem less unhealthy.
    I can see that being “the official drink of California” could add status to the drink’s image.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It is literal.
    from {de-carbonating fizzy drinks} to {declaring their wares [to be] the official drink of U.S. states.}
    from ....................A..........................to.........................................B

Unless "even the diet ones—is legitimately terrible for most people," is acceptable in AE, then it is a mistake as "legitimately" is inappropriate.

Please quote your source, which is: https://thetakeout.com/harvard-study-sugar-soda-drinks-risk-early-death-1833406295

Myridon

English - US
    I don’t know why taking the fizz out of fizzy drinks makes them seem less unhealthy.
    Part of it is just appearance, however, when carbon dioxide is dissolved in water, there is an equilibrium reaction which produces carbonic acid. In the bottled water industry, alkaline water is a very popular option. A carbonated beverage is automatically an acidic beverage. You might look on the Internet for Coca-cola being used to dissolve meat or being used as a household cleaning product.

< Previous | Next >