from every deep laid scheme, for our ruin

gil12345

chinese
Hi there,

"Though sensibility, soft compassion, and gentle commiseration, are inmates in the female bosom, yet against every deep laid art, altogether fearless of the event, we will set them in array; for assuredly the wreath of victory will encircle the spotless brow. If we meet an equal, a sensible friend, we will reward him with the hand of amity, and through life we will be assiduous to promote his happiness; but from every deep laid scheme, for our ruin, retiring into ourselves, amid the flowery paths of science, we will indulge in all the refined and sentimental pleasures of contemplation:..."

On the Equality of the Sexes. (1790, Judith Sargent Murray)

Does Murray mean that "when we retire from those intricately concocted schemes, which are supposed to cause our ruin, we will indulge in..."? I just find the expression very unusual.

Thanks

Gil

Last edited:
  • ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Hi there,

"Though sensibility, soft compassion, and gentle commiseration, are inmates in the female bosom, yet against every deep laid art, altogether fearless of the event, we will set them in array; for assuredly the wreath of victory will encircle the spotless brow. If we meet an equal, a sensible friend, we will reward him with the hand of amity, and through life we will be assiduous to promote his happiness; but from every deep laid scheme, for our ruin, retiring into ourselves, amid the flowery paths of science, we will indulge in all the refined and sentimental pleasures of contemplation:..."

On the Equality of the Sexes. (1790, Judith Sargent Murray)

Does Murray mean that "when we retire from those intricately concocted schemes, which are supposed to cause our ruin, we will indulge in..."? I just find the expression very unusual.

Thanks

Gil
    I, too, find the sentence unusual and as flowery as the paths of science.

Loob

English UK
    The definition of "deep-laid" I posted in another thread looks relevant here too:
    I've found this definition of deep-laid in the (big) OED:

deep-laid, adj.
    Deeply laid; planned with profound cunning.
    a1774 A. Tucker Light of Nature Pursued (1777) III. i. 274 Any deep laid scheme or fine-spun artifice.
    1783 Hist. Miss Baltimores I. 74 He is a deep-laid villain after women.
    1846 G. Grote Hist. Greece I. i. xv. 390 The deep-laid designs, of Zeus.
    1869 Trollope He knew he was Right I. xxiii. 183 He himself had had no very deep-laid scheme in his addresses to Colonel Osborne.​

Loob

English UK
    Yes:thumbsup:.
    (We probably wouldn't put a comma between scheme and ruin today.)

< Previous | Next >