[ from] his wealth and family connections

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The context comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 10

Several wealthy and benevolent individuals in the county subscribed largely for the erection of a more convenient building in a better situation; new regulations were made; improvements in diet and clothing introduced; the funds of the school were intrusted to the management of a committee. Mr. Brocklehurst, who, from his wealth and family connections, could not be overlooked, still retained the post of treasurer; but he was aided in the discharge of his duties by gentlemen of rather more enlarged and sympathising minds: his office of inspector, too, was shared by those who knew how to combine reason with strictness, comfort with economy, compassion with uprightness. The school, thus improved, became in time a truly useful and noble institution. I remained an inmate of its walls, after its regeneration, for eight years: six as pupil, and two as teacher; and in both capacities I bear my testimony to its value and importance.
===
Hi everyone! I'm not sure about the meaning of the word "from" here. As the WR dictionary tells me, "from" could mean "(used to indicate agent, means, cause, or reason)". So does the sentence here mean "because of his wealth and family connections, could not be overlooked"?

• Barque

Tamil
    Yes, it does mean "because of". I'm surprised to see "from" there too but this book was written in the 19th century when perhaps it was used this way.

Edit - Perhaps it means "for reasons arising from his wealth and connections".

< Previous | Next >