from how people interact politically, for mutual benefit, through institutions

Michael30000

Russian
Hello everyone,

From the book Thank You for Being Late by Thomas Friedman.

But trust cannot be com-manded. It can only be nurtured and inspired by a healthy community— between people who feel bound by a social contract. “Trust is something that emerges from how people interact politically, for mutual benefit, through institutions,” adds the Harvard University political philosopher Michael Sandel. “Healthy communities build civic muscles that lead to greater trust.”

I'm wondering how the bolded part should be parsed:

Like this: interact politically, interact for mutual benefit, interact through institutions?
Or like this: interact politically, interact politically for mutual benefit, interact politically through instituions?

Thank you.

• lingobingo

English - England
    The latter. It’s the political interaction that’s modified by “for mutual benefit” and “through institutions”.

Havng said that, I suppose it could also be read the other way, but I don’t think that’s really what’s meant.

Trust emerges from how people interact — politically, for mutual benefit, through institutions :thumbsdown:
    Trust emerges from how people interact politically (for mutual benefit) through institutions :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >