from makeover to takeover

< Previous | Next >

ewanek

Czech Republic/Czech
Can anybody paraphrase it for me, please? It is a title of an article reading about health travel agencies organizing trips to Czech Rep. for people, who want to get "reconstructed" for less than in U.K. The story presents four most successful agencies. Some of the interviewed representatives and owners of these agencies had undergone a cosmetic surgery themselves (but not all of them to be able to generalize that they found inspiration for their business in their own makeover). Thnx for any idea. ewanek

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    A "makeover" is a freshening, rejuvenating, modifying procedure either involving superficial cosmetics or major plastic surgery (there are other kinds of "makeovers" but it's not necessary to go into them for this purpose).

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the context you've provided to explain the use of the word "takeover". This is usually used in a business sense where a company buys out another company but I can't be sure that's what's meant here. Is there something in the text that you haven't told us that means corporate takeovers of these companies?

ewanek

Czech Republic/Czech
    A "makeover" is a freshening, rejuvenating, modifying procedure either involving superficial cosmetics or major plastic surgery (there are other kinds of "makeovers" but it's not necessary to go into them for this purpose).

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the context you've provided to explain the use of the word "takeover". This is usually used in a business sense where a company buys out another company but I can't be sure that's what's meant here. Is there something in the text that you haven't told us that means corporate takeovers of these companies?
    thank you for your effort. the thing is that the article does not say a word about this "classical" takeover. These companies have not started buying out each other yet. there is no need to do so because there is still a lot of space left on the market. i thought it might refer to the fact that the four mentioned companies are the main players on the market. but i am not sure at all. the title was probably supposed to be a pun but i don't get it :eek:(

Dimcl

Canadian English
    thank you for your effort. the thing is that the article does not say a word about this "classical" takeover. These companies have not started buying out each other yet. there is no need to do so because there is still a lot of space left on the market. i thought it might refer to the fact that the four mentioned companies are the main players on the market. but i am not sure at all. the title was probably supposed to be a pun but i don't get it :eek:(
    I think I found the article you're referring to and I believe that "takeover" simply refers to the fact that these companies are booming and are "taking over" the "makeover" industry.

ewanek

Czech Republic/Czech
    I think I found the article you're referring to and I believe that "takeover" simply refers to the fact that these companies are booming and are "taking over" the "makeover" industry.
    thank you. so no pun at all. i could have thought about giving you www address of the paper myself, sorry...next time :eek:) ewanek

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    OKay, I apologize for this post if it's silly.

I wonder if the "takeover" part can have two meanings.

1. As Dimcl suggested (always trust what Dimcl says), these companies are "taking over" the "makeover" industry.

2. As a term of promoting or irony (depending on the tone), it can also suggest that after these trips of plastic surgery purpose, you will go from "a makeover" to someone who has the power to "take over".

ewanek

Czech Republic/Czech
    OKay, I apologize for this post if it's silly.

I wonder if the "takeover" part can have two meanings.

1. As Dimcl suggested (always trust what Dimcl says), these companies are "taking over" the "makeover" industry.

2. As a term of promoting or irony (depending on the tone), it can also suggest that after these trips of plastic surgery purpose, you will go from "a makeover" to someone who has the power to "take over".
    yes, dimcl seems very knowledgeble. apart from explanation of the txt he traced the original article - it did not occurred to me to provide www address of the paper that had published it (czech business weekly) ewanek

< Previous | Next >