from pariah to boring neighbor

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Сase in point is the breathtaking speed, and, I would add, needed change with regards to homosexuality and it's social acceptance. Homosexuality has gone from being strictly illegal to socially accepted in a matter of decades. While not necessarily all aspects of the gay lifestyle is universally loved — the hyper sexualization of pride parades for example — homosexuals have basically gone from pariah to boring neighbor in the blink of an eye.
YouTube video

Since the boldfaced part doesn't seem to be an expression — Google finds nothing, although the meaning is clear — I wonder if zero article here seems the most natural choice.

For example, would these be acceptable:
from pariahs to boring neighbors
from the pariah to the boring neighbor

Thanks.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    "Go from X to Y" does not use articles or plurals.

While it might be possible to justify this by saying that both "pariah" and "boring neighbour" are descriptions of homosexuals, rather than direct references to homosexuals themselves, I don't think this sort of argument would stand up to scrutiny, and I would merely be inventing a reason for something that may not have any reason.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    One question. Would all the above be true for a singular subject: (unlike the OP or the example in #3)?

he went from pariah to boring neighbor

he went from pauper to nouveau riche

< Previous | Next >