From Russia with love

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Nathaloshka, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Nathaloshka Member

UK
    England, English and French
    Hello,

My question is how would you translate the expression "With love" to conclude a letter for example? Or in the context of a sentence like "From Russia with love" (like the well-known film) :)
    I made a search on the forum but couldn't find any thread/post related to this.
    Thank you in advance for your help :)

Всего хорошего,

Nathalie.

2. С любовью - With love
    Из России с любовью - From Russia with love

Do bear in mind, however, that "with love" is not such a popular closing phrase in Russian letters unless you actually love the person you are writing to.

3. Kolan Banned

Montréal (Québec)
    Russian (CCCP)
    If you are woman writing to a man you know very well (and he is expecting such a move from you), then you may try любящая Вас (тебя), but I am sure the community will come up with many other suggestions.:confused:

My example implies a very definitive, uncompromised feeling.

4. Nathaloshka Member

UK
    Thank you both for your replies :)

Nathalie

5. Crescent

Crescent Senior Member

England
    Russian, (Ukraine)
    Sorry, Kolan, but I'm afraid that I've never in my life heard ''любящая Вас''.. and to be honest, it sounds a little bit strange to me.. :eek: Perhaps I'm missing something.
    It is true what Setwale said, it's rare to sign off in a letter with ''С любовью''. The most common one of this contrsuction is ''С уважением'', but of course, this isn't particulary ''warm'' - in fact, it's quite impersonal and formal. So if you wanted to be a little more ''close'', you would say: Искренне Ваш(а).

But in your case, when translating ''from Russia with Love'' I think Setwale's suggestion is very good: Из России с любовью. :)

6. Nathaloshka Member

UK
    Спасибо Crescent :)

7. Kolan Banned

Montréal (Québec)
    Russian (CCCP)
    Well... you could miss "a very definitive, uncompromised feeling", that I mentioned.

I retried the "Google" method that we used with you recently in a neighboring thread to see, if there is any reasonable example from an independent source

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=ru&q='любящая+Вас'&btnG=Поиск+в+Google

And, yes, there is plenty of them. "Остаюсь, любящий вас"