From Servius Tullius to Abrahamo Lincolnio, translation help please

< Previous | Next >

DoyleDH

English USA
In 1865 a group of Roman liberals procured a stone from the agger of Servius Tullius, 6th king of Rome, and inscribed the following:
ABRAHAMO LINCOLNIO

REGION FOEDERAT AMERIC PRAESIDI II

HVNC EX SERVI TULLI AGGERE LAPIDEM

OVO VTRIVSOVE

LIBERTATIS ADSERTORIS FORTISS

MEMORIA CONIVNCATVR

CIVES ROMANI

D.

A. MDCCCLXV

The translation given this, also inscribed in stone at the Lincoln tomb is: “To Abraham Lincoln, President for the second time of the American Republic, citizens of Rome present this stone from the wall of Servius Tullius by which the memory of each of those brave advocates of liberty may be associated.”

The attached photos show the text for both; I hope they are readable.

I would like a second opinion on the accuracy of this translation and suggestions for a more accurate one, if you please. The back story on this is that for the past 150+ years the accepted narrative of this gift has been that the Romans were honoring Lincoln's second election as president, not memorializing his assassination and that it was sent to Lincoln, not his successor. I have supporting evidence for the latter view, but I want to understand better how the translation might have thrown people off the more likely explanation of the Romans' purpose in sending this tribute.

Attachments

• Agró

Spanish-Navarre
    ABRAHAMO LINCOLNIO

REGION FOEDERAT AMERIC PRAESIDI II

QVO VTRIVSQVE

LIBERTATIS ADSERTORIS FORTISS

MEMORIA CONIVNGATVR

CIVES ROMANI

D.

A. MDCCCLXV

A couple corrections, if I may.

As for the translation, I'll defer to other more knowledgeable colleagues.

Scholiast

saluete omnes!

There are clearly some abbreviations, and to judge by the photos, I think also epigraphic errors here.

I read:

ABRAHAMO LINCOLNIO

REGION[VM] FOEDERAT[ARVM] AMERIC[AE] PRAESID[ENT]I II

QVO VTRIVSQVE

LIBERTATIS ADSERTORIS FORTISS[IMI]

MEMORIA CONIVNCATVR

CIVES ROMANI

D[EDICAVERVNT].

A[NNO] MDCCCLXV
    As for the translation:
    To Abraham Lincoln, President for the second time of the United States of America, the citizens of Rome dedicate this stone from the wall of Servius Tullius, by which the memory of each of those brave advocates of liberty may be associated. AD 1865.

There may reside some doubt about dedicauerunt or dederunt. ('dedicated' or 'gave').

Σ

Edited afterthought: I would love to know of the historical circumstances that gave rise to this.

Last edited:

DoyleDH

English USA
    whatever it says on the web, long ago the story of this tribute to Lincoln got way off track. I’m trying to correct the current negative and set the story within the history of Papal Rome and the Risorgimento

< Previous | Next >