from seventeen to twenty-four years old

< Previous | Next >

bennyfriendly

korean
Suppose that you are in your forties right now. You are telling your friends that you did a lot of volunteer work when you were 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24 years old. I have made up a sentence about this below.

(ex) I did different types of volunteer work when I was from seventeen to twenty-four years old.

It's too long to list all those times. Does it make sense to say the phrase in bold? Thank you very much for your help and time.

• Packard

USA, English
    From the time I was 17 until I was 24 I did a lot of volunteer work. Now I am all about me. :D

bennyfriendly

korean
    Thanks to all of you for your feedback. May I ask one question about "between"? All of you have suggested " when I was between seventeen and twenty four".

Does it sound like "when I was 17 or 18 or 19 or 20 or 21 or 22 or 23 or 24"? In fact, I volunteered at these points in my life consecutively, meaning "when I was 17 and 18 and 19 and 20 and 21 and 22 and 23 and 24.

I don't understand why "from 17 to 24" doesn't suggest the consecutive pattern.

For example, I will be on holiday from August 1st to August 5th. That means, I will be holiday on the 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say. I would appreciate that you further clarify this for me. Thank you very much again for your time and help.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    :) It just is not the way we say it, bennyfriendly.

If you want to use 'from', then "From age 17 to 24, I did a lot of volunteer work" would work.

See also Packard's post above.

< Previous | Next >