from some people is a noxious and insulting sort of tribute, which one is justified

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 27) | Genius

Quotation: Jane, you don’t like my narrative; you look almost sick—shall I defer the rest to another day?”

“No, sir, finish it now; I pity you—I do earnestly pity you.”

Pity, Jane, from some people is a noxious and insulting sort of tribute, which one is justified in hurling back in the teeth of those who offer it; but that is the sort of pity native to callous, selfish hearts; it is a hybrid, egotistical pain at hearing of woes, crossed with ignorant contempt for those who have endured them. ...

Context: Mr. R was telling Jane about his miserable marriage.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. Is it fine to interpret it as below?

noxious => harmful or injurious to health or physical well-being
in the teeth of => 4.a In direct (local) opposition or attack; in the teeth of, in direct opposition to, so as to face or confront, straight against. (OED)
tribute => 1. a gift, speech of praise, etc., given as an expression of gratitude toward another: (but I don't know how it works here)

the sentence => Some people's pity hurts pride (≈ to insult) and feeling (≈ injurious to mind). One has reasons good enough to hurl back such a "pity" when he is confronted with those who offer it (= the pity).

• < Previous | Next >