from Straussian triad themes to languid Barber-like melodies

< Previous | Next >
  • SevenDays

Spanish
    Vocabulary is a metaphor.
    Maazel is a conductor and composer, and he "speaks" to us through his music. When he "speaks" to us, his vocabulary includes Straussian triad themes, languid Barber-like melodies, and exotic percussive touches.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please tell us which part of the phrase is confusing you, so we don't waste time explaining what you already understand. For example, do you know who Strauss and Barber are? Do you know what a musical triad is?

amismael

Arabic
    Please tell us which part of the phrase is confusing you, so we don't waste time explaining what you already understand. For example, do you know who Strauss and Barber are? Do you know what a musical triad is?
    I'm sorry for wasting your time... I really didn't understand the sentence at all. SevenDays helped me understand a part... At first, I didn't know who is Strauss. When I googled "Straussian", it didn't give me any clue; but now I know that Strauss is a German composer. I don't know who is Barber. I know that "triad" and "melody" are components of music, but I can't differentiate between them...

Thanks for your time :)

Myridon

English - US
    triad - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
    a group of three
    Johann Strauss (Wikipedia link) is famous for composing waltzes - a type of music that has three beats per measure.

melody - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
    a pleasing sequence; a tune.

The melody/tune is the main theme of a piece of music - the notes that you would sing if it were a song.
    Samuel Barber (Wikipedia link) is also a famous composer . Search for a recording of his "Adagio for Strings." If you listen to it, you will hear a languid melody.

< Previous | Next >