from strength to strength

spirals

English - England
I am mentioning the future of Vélib' at the end of an essay and want to say the sentence below. I can't find a very sophisticated phrase for "from strength to strength" (there's something like "de mieux en mieux" but I don't know where to put this) and I don't mind if the meaning changes slightly, I just want to express the general idea. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

If the public remains supportive of the Vélib' scheme, there is every chance that the project will go from strength to strength and will represent the future of city-centre transport.

Si le public reste fidèle au programme Vélib’, il y a toutes les chances que le projet continuera de développer et va représenter le futur de la circulation en centre-ville.

• slaughter of knowledge

French - Gaeilge
    Si le public reste fidèle au programme Vélib’, il y a toutes les chances que le projet continuera de développer et va représenter le futur de la circulation en centre-ville.

I think -> Si le public reste fidèle au programme Vélib', il est fort probable que le projet continue de se développer et représente le futur de la circulation urbaine

spirals

English - England
    Thanks for the quick response! Sorry to be awkward, but I've just noticed that I used the phrase "continuer à se développer" in the previous sentence in the essay (I knew there was a reason why I wanted to avoid it :() so can you think of a way of rephrasing it?

EDIT: Never mind, I cut some of the sentence because I was over the word limit.

Last edited:

slaughter of knowledge

French - Gaeilge
    Sorry for answering so late...High School....

You wanted to use 'continuer à se développer"...well... Okay! :D

Si le public reste fidèle au programme Vélib’, il est fort probable que le projet continue de se développer et finisse par réprésenter le futur de la circulation en centre-ville.

I think that is a 'correct sentence'. Good luck

Quantz

French
    Pour être plus fidèle à l'anglais :

"gagnera en force" ou "montera en puissance"

< Previous | Next >