From Sunday to Sunday girls came through the front door

gvergara

Español
Hi

From Sunday to Sunday means, according to the context, on Sundays. I was wondering if it is a perfectly well-formed sentence which does not lead to any kind of misunderstanding or ambiguity.

From Sunday to Sunday [...] a parade of marriageable girl came through the front door of Hurlbut.
From Middlesex by Jeffrey Euginides

Thanks in advance,
Gonzalo (Please feel free to correct all my mistakes ;))

• ewie

English English
    Hi Gonzalo. I'd take it to mean 'every single day of the week without fail', spoken by someone for who the week (still) starts on Sunday:)

gvergara

Español
    But, if we go by previous allusions made in the book, the girls showed up on Sundays, not all week through. :confused: Take a look

Every so often during this conversation, Desdemona had patted Gaia Vasilakis on the knee and said, “Miltie he is coming. Soon.” She had been saying it since her guests arrived. She had been saying it every Sunday for the past month and a half, and not only to Gaia Vasilakis. She had said it to Jeanie Diamond, whose parents had brought her last Sunday, and she had said it to Vicky Logathetis, who’d come the week before that.

se16teddy

English - England
    Alternatively, I wonder whether "from Sunday to Sunday" might mean "sometimes on Sundays", along the lines of "from time to time".

"From Sunday to Sunday" is not a set expression with a clear and unambiguous meaning.

ewie

English English
    Ah well, with that extra information I'd take it to mean every single Sunday without fail.

It's not a turn-of-phrase I could give the precise meaning of with 100% certainty. (As you may have gathered:D)

EDIT, after Teddy: Ah! I'm glad it's not just me!

.synq

English (Ireland)
    It is a perfectly formed sentence in the sense that it means every day of the week, but if it were to mean every Sunday, some qualification would be needed-such as that provided previously in the extracts you have presented.

< Previous | Next >