FROM the 14 January until the 23rd"

ladybugEnglishFan

Polish
"I'd like to book a room in the name of Silvia Bella FROM the 14 January until the 23rd"
This is a sentence that I found in this forum. Can you tell me why don't we write 14th January, and if we write 14 January, do we still read it as "the fourteenth of January)? Thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    ... from the 14th of January until the 23rd is how I would write that. There are other ways, of course, but this follows your example sentence.

It's not correct to use a bare number (14) with an ordinal (23rd).

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    If you're just asking about '14' versus '23rd', well I think that's inconsistent. Normally I write '14 January' when there's a month after it, but if I wrote the ordinal letters in '23rd' I'd also choose to write them in '14th'. It just looks neater when they're written the same way.

If you're asking about why we don't write dates the way we say them . . . well, we just don't. It's confusing but we're stuck with it. Look at the sticky threads on this forum for how to say dates.

ladybugEnglishFan

Polish
    Ok thanks. I also found it odd that at the beginning you write a bare number and then with "th" but I found this example and I thought that maybe I didn't know about some rule. Thanks. :)

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Hullo, lady.
    Syntax is very important, as you certainly know. I think your sentence should read:
    "Can you tell me why we don't write... ... ?".
    Your question (Can you tell me) is about a fact: the fact is "we don't write"....
    All the best.
    GS

< Previous | Next >