from the beginning to the end, head to toe

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Joan bolets, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Joan bolets

Joan bolets Senior Member

Barcelona
    Italian/Sicilian
    Hallo, I'm sorry but I have a memory lapse and I cannot find an elegant form for the underlined expression...any suggestion?

To begin with, it should be uncontroversial the fact that coordination is an essential feature of the whole system, permeating it from the beginning to the end

Can I use for example:

To begin with, it should be uncontroversial the fact that coordination is an essential feature of the whole system, permeating it from top to toe or from head to toe ?

Consider that this is an accademic work, I'm looking for something rather formal...

Thanks!

2. happy-too Senior Member

Dallas, Texas
    American English
    Common expressions here in America would be: "from tip to toe"; "from head to toe"; "from top to bottom"; or "from start to finish." However, if you are creating a document that is more formal in nature, you should probably stick with "from beginning to end." Note that the "the" was struck from before "beginning" and "end." This is common usage, albeit not the best grammar. Hope it helps.

3. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    Do you want to really wake up your academic audience. Try "from the Alopha to the Omega." or stick in a French expression, "Toute en gamme." or use common sense and say "from the onset to the termination."

4. happy-too Senior Member

Dallas, Texas
    American English
    Sorry Harry Batt...not trying to be too much of a stickler here...but you know how it is. (I hope!) :) Isnt' it great that we all have opinions on the wording of things?? :p

5. Joan bolets

Joan bolets Senior Member

Barcelona
    Italian/Sicilian
    Thanks to both,

I think I'll stick to the original expression then but without the article...I do not want all the audience in awe of me ! :D

6. JeffJo Senior Member

USA
    USA, English
    Re: "To begin with, it should be uncontroversial the fact that coordination is an essential feature of the whole system, permeating it from the beginning to the end."

Omit "the fact." Also, coordination does not permeate. Things like odors and spirit permeate. You might try "intrinsic" i.e. 'coordination is intrinsic to the system.' An alternative would be 'inherent in.'

Or, if you mean that the system ought to be coordinated, whether or not it is now, use the word 'vital.'