from the boot

lekal

Chinese
Hi,

Here is from the Guardian,

We had pulled up in front of the building and were retrieving groceries from the boot when a car – either because he didn’t know how to park, or because it was raining, or because he was annoyed we had taken the best spot – gently ran into the back of us.

Does "from the boot" means the author sit in the car and fetch groceries from the boot?

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Thank you, but if they are out the car, how can another car run into them and nut hurt them?
    It says in the article (thank you for the link, by the way):
    "...gently ran into the back of us. I didn’t witness this; at the moment of impact, I was leaning belly-down across the passenger seat, trying to retrieve some leftover chicken nuggets from where I’d dropped them in the footwell on the driver’s side. I did, however, feel the car lurch with the force of the bump".

So the collision happened at very low speed: she had been taking things out of the boot but was at the time of the accident in the front of the car and therefore wasn't hurt. :)

lekal

Chinese
    It says in the article (thank you for the link, by the way):
    "...gently ran into the back of us. I didn’t witness this; at the moment of impact, I was leaning belly-down across the passenger seat, trying to retrieve some leftover chicken nuggets from where I’d dropped them in the footwell on the driver’s side. I did, however, feel the car lurch with the force of the bump".

So the collision happened at very low speed: she had been taking things out of the boot but was at the time of the accident in the front of the car and therefore wasn't hurt. :)
    thank you very much

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    To clarify:

"We were retrieving" refers to a process. It doesn't mean that at every single point in time during that process, they were physically at the boot/trunk. If you're retrieving things from the trunk, you're also taking them somewhere and will be at that other place at various points throughout the process. The collision could have happened at a point when no one was physically right there by the trunk.

Another example:

- What were you doing last night?
    - I was moving furniture from the living room to the bedroom.

During this process, the speaker would have sometimes been in the living room, sometimes in the bedroom, and sometimes in between.

lekal

Chinese
    To clarify:

"We were retrieving" refers to a process. It doesn't mean that at every single point in time during that process, they were physically at the boot/trunk. If you're retrieving things from the trunk, you're also taking them somewhere and will be at that other place at various points throughout the process. The collision could have happened at a point when no one was physically right there by the trunk.

Another example:

- What were you doing last night?
    - I was moving furniture from the living room to the bedroom.

During this process, the speaker would have sometimes been in the living room, sometimes in the bedroom, and sometimes in between.
    Great!
    Thank you very much!
    Now I got it.
    They were retrieving the groceries, and maybe they just took some groceries from the boot onto the seat inside the car, and then the collision happened.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Great!
    Thank you very much!
    Now I got it.
    They were retrieving the groceries, and maybe they just took some groceries from the boot onto the seat inside the car, and then the collision happened.
    They were probably in the middle of retrieving them from the boot and carrying them inside (not putting them back into the car) :)

< Previous | Next >