From the British actor John Hauge, to the Welsh actor Joey Caney, to the ... <they?> all have ....

farhad_persona

Farsi
Hello,

I want to suggest that a host of actors have tried to become directors. Here's how I put it:

More and more actors are leaning towards film direction. From the British actor John Hauge, to the Welsh actor Joey Caney, to the veteran actor Jack Nilly, to the talented actress Debra Wing, they all have tried their hand at directing.

Do I need they in there or is this better? :

More and more actors are leaning towards film direction. From the British actor John Hauge, to the Welsh actor Joey Caney, to the veteran actor Jack Nilly, to the talented actress Debra Wing, all have tried their hand at directing.

Also, do I need those commas?

*I am the source
*the names are made-up

• pops91710

English, AE
    My suggestion

"More and more actors are leaning towards film directing. From British actor John Hauge, to Welsh actor Joey Caney, veteran actor Jack Nilly, and the talented actress Debra Wing, have all tried their hand at directing".

farhad_persona

Farsi
    My suggestion

"More and more actors are leaning towards film directing. From British actor John Hauge, to Welsh actor Joey Caney, veteran actor Jack Nilly, and the talented actress Debra Wing, have all tried their hand at directing".
    Thanks. So, I need 'to' for the second one and 'and' for the last one regardless of how many are in the middle right?

Does this work?

More and more actors are leaning towards film directing. From British actor John Hauge, to Welsh actor Joey Caney, veteran actor Jack Nilly, French actor Jean Jorge, Dutch actor Arien Danny, and the talented actress Debra Wing, have all tried their hand at directing.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I don't think the "have all" works as the sentence starts with "From".

I see the "they" as a style optional but favour keeping it.

You need more commas! The names are apositives.

From the British actor, John Hauge, to the Welsh actor, Joey Caney, to the veteran actor, Jack Nilly, to the talented actress, Debra Wing, they all have tried their hand at directing.

farhad_persona

Farsi
    I don't think the "have all" works as the sentence starts with "From".

I see the "they" as a style optional but favour keeping it.

You need more commas! The names are apositives.

From the British actor, John Hauge, to the Welsh actor, Joey Caney, to the veteran actor, Jack Nilly, to the talented actress, Debra Wing, they all have tried their hand at directing.
    Thank you Paul. Is this a matter of style? Because the way pops91710 put it feels right too. Although I have to say I'm not a native speaker.

farhad_persona

Farsi
    I would not put in PaulQ's commas after actor/actress since the appositives are restrictive, not parenthetical. In fact I might leave out the thes too.
    How about 'to' , and 'and'

More and more actors are leaning towards film directing. From British actor John Hauge, to Welsh actor Joey Caney, veteran actor Jack Nilly, French actor Jean Jorge, Dutch actor Arien Danny, and the talented actress Debra Wing, have all tried their hand at directing.

or

More and more actors are leaning towards film directing. From British actor John Hauge, to Welsh actor Joey Caney, to veteran actor Jack Nilly, to French actor Jean Jorge, to Dutch actor Arien Danny, and the talented actress Debra Wing, they all have tried their hand at directing.

farhad_persona

Farsi
    Sorry to bump the thread up like this. Two contradicting answers got me confused. I could use your help. Do I need 'to' before every actor?

Forero

USA English
    How about 'to' , and 'and'

or

More and more actors are leaning towards film directing. From British actor John Hauge, to Welsh actor Joey Caney, to veteran actor Jack Nilly, to French actor Jean Jorge, to Dutch actor Arien Danny, and the talented actress Debra Wing, they all have tried their hand at directing.

I would either use the from ... to ..., to ..., ..., to ... construction or the ..., ..., ...[,] and ... construction, but not and with from and to.

farhad_persona

Farsi
    I would either use the from ... to ..., to ..., ..., to ... construction or the ..., ..., ...[,] and ... construction, but not and with from and to.
    Now I have three different answers. So, you'd put it like this? :

More and more actors are leaning towards film directing. From British actor John Hauge, to Welsh actor Joey Caney, to veteran actor Jack Nilly, to French actor Jean Jorge, to Dutch actor Arien Danny, to the talented actress Debra Wing, they all have tried their hand at directing.

Forero

USA English
    Now I have three different answers. So, you'd put it like this? :

More and more actors are leaning towards film directing. From British actor John Hauge, to Welsh actor Joey Caney, to veteran actor Jack Nilly, to French actor Jean Jorge, to Dutch actor Arien Danny, to the talented actress Debra Wing, they all have tried their hand at directing.
    That's right. The idea is that there is a wide "range" of actors who try directing. The ones mentioned are meant as representatives of the varied types within the range.

farhad_persona

Farsi
    That's right. The idea is that there is a wide "range" of actors who try directing. The ones mentioned are meant as representatives of the varied types within the range.
    And if I use 'to', would I need 'they'? :

Or this? :

More and more actors are leaning towards film directing. From British actor John Hauge, to Welsh actor Joey Caney, to veteran actor Jack Nilly, to French actor Jean Jorge, to Dutch actor Arien Danny, to the talented actress Debra Wing, have all tried their hand at directing.

Forero

USA English
    And if I use 'to', would I need 'they'? :

Or this? :

More and more actors are leaning towards film directing. From British actor John Hauge, to Welsh actor Joey Caney, to veteran actor Jack Nilly, to French actor Jean Jorge, to Dutch actor Arien Danny, to the talented actress Debra Wing, have all tried their hand at directing.
    I think you do mean "they all", not "all" = "everybody".

farhad_persona

Farsi
    Can we all agree on this? :

farhad_persona

Farsi
    Sorry to bump this up in this fashion. I just need you to tell me which one you prefer:

or

More and more actors are leaning towards film directing. From British actor John Hauge, to Welsh actor Joey Caney, veteran actor Jack Nilly, French actor Jean Jorge, Dutch actor Arien Danny, and the talented actress Debra Wing, they all have tried their hand at directing.

< Previous | Next >