from the bro

< Previous | Next >

Patitou's Friend

Polish
Hello everybody,

This is a second question to the sentence I asked about in my previous thread. Explanation for those who didn't read the previous one: I'm translating an agreement between two museums where one lends works of art to the other one for an exhibition. In the description of one woodcut by Gerhard Marcks, there's the following:

"Edition: unknown (approx. 10); plus an unknown number, reprinted by Richard von Sichowsky after c. 1949 from the bro"

As I'm not sure if the "c." belongs to the general every-day life language or to the strictly artistic jargon, I allowed myself to ask the question in this forum:confused:. I would be very grateful if anyone could suggest what the "from the bro" stands for. There is no other reference to the "bro" in the document, it is in a list of other works of art. After this statement, there's just "The Museum of Modern Art, New York. Purchase, 1949"

Thank you very much,
P's F.

• ewie

English English
    Hullo P's F. I'm mystified. What's the title of the woodcut? ~ that might offer some clue. Do you have an actual image of it?

Patitou's Friend

Polish
    Hi ewie,

the title of the woodcut is "Ox Drivers" and when you asked about the image, I googled it and found it on the museum's website... and... bingo! there it is:
    " Edition
    unknown (approx. 10), on Japan and "Bütten" [this ex.]; plus an unknown number, reprinted by Richard von Sichowsky after c. 1949 from the broken block, on Japan paper"

So apparently "bro" refers to "broken block" :)

Thank you very much for asking the right question!!! :D

ewie

English English
    Phew! I'm glad we (well, you) solved that one ~ I had visions of me lying awake all night worrying about it:D

P.S. I like it:)

< Previous | Next >