from the other side of the aisle

< Previous | Next >

Michael30000

Russian
Hello everyone,

From the book Thank You for Being Late by Thomas Friedman.

Walter Mondale, who was a Minnesota senator when I was growing up—1964 to 1976—told me a similar tale from the other side of the aisle:
I grew up in a small town on the Iowa border. My dad was a minister in several different churches. Every five years we would move.

What does "from the other side of the aisle" mean?

Thank you.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    You haven't given us the context we would need to know what "other" is referring to. Can you summarize the preceding sentences, as you're not allowed to post any more of the text?

Michael30000

Russian
    Well, in the previous passages Mr. Friedman talks about congressman Bill Frenzel whom he interviewed. Mr. Friedman says that Bill Frenzel was a liberal Republican. Mr. Frenzel says that the politics significantly changed when R. Reagan became the President.
    My campaign was run by guys in my kitchen
    he used to buy “a big highway sign

Right before switching to Walter Mondale, Mr. Friedman says that Bill Frenzel, after retiring, served as a special adviser to a Democratic president, Bill Clinton, to help win passage of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I think youve answered your own question. Friedman was talking about Bill Frenzel, a Republican. Then he tells a similar story from Walter Mondale, a Democrat.

In the U.S> Senate and House of Representatives, members of the two parties sit on opposite sides of the aisle.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Here is the center aisle that symbolically divides the two parties in the U.S. House of Representatives chamber.

< Previous | Next >