From these questions we can start what a truly authentic language test is

< Previous | Next >

jjshin

korean
1) From these questions we can start what a truly authentic language test is.

2) From these questions we can start exploring what a truly authentic language test is

The first sentence is mine and the second one is native speakers' correction.

What is difference?

Is the first sentence wrong?

• Categenesis

English
    Yes, the first sentence is incorrect. You need to "start" something. "Exploring" is a good word here, because the questions are a start to your exploration... and the answers to those questions will continue that quest.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Hi jjshin,

The first sentence isn't correct, I'm sorry. The second is grammatically correct, but its content seems a little odd. What is it that you are trying to say with this sentence?

The correction given to you roughly means "By looking at these questions we can begin to explore/discover what makes up a truly authentic language test". That's a somewhat strange thing to say and I'm not entirely sure whether it's what you were trying to say.

jjshin

korean
    Ok~I want to know a correct grammar,
    I looked up the dictionary.
    "start" has many usuages. Such as,
    start + to V
    start + N / ~ing
    Start + prep
    Start + with N

Therefore, I thought,
    we can start what a truly authentic language test is.

"What~is. " is a Noun.
    That is,
    We can start + N (What a truly authentic language test is)

Thanks in advance.

JamesM

Your sentence doesn't make sense to me:

We can start what a truly authentic language test is.

[edit]

Sorry, I missed the sentence in the thread title.

These would work for me:

From these questions we can start developing what is a truly authentic language test.

(This is the same as "From these questions we can start developing a truly authentic language test.")

From these questions we can start exploringwhat a truly authentic language test is.

(This one was paraphrased beautifully by cycloneviv above.)

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    Besides No. 1 being unacceptably odd, "authentic language test" bothers me.

Is it a test as to whether the language is authentic?

Or is it a question as to whether the test is authentic, i.e. actually issued by the person or organization claiming to have produced it?

Or, do you mean a valid test, i.e. successfully evaluating that which it claims to be testing?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    First of all, "what a truly authentic language test is" is not a noun. It is instead a dependent clause. Second, "Start" means "to commence" or "to begin". While one may start a thing (e.g., the students started the project) or an action (the deer started to run; I told the children to start working), it makes no sense at all to speak of starting "what something is." How in the world does one start an "is"? The word "is" shows the present state of existence of something. It is impossible to "start" being something one already "is".

< Previous | Next >